Thursday, April 23, 2009

Assignment #4

Click here to view the video that I created for this assignment.

Here is the .max file.

This project was more tedious than challenging. Since there is no 'repeat' button in 3DS Max, I had to move the limbs back into their retracted positions after I set up the punching animations, and then move them into their punching positions once again, and so on and so forth. However, once I got the swing of things, this process became faster than it was repetitive.

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Assignment #3 Part 2

Above is the final draft of my underwater scene, complete with added textures.

Here is a link to the .max file.

This project was very time-consuming, but there isn't a piece of it that I'm not proud of. I love the way everything turned out; the lighting, the skins of the models, and the added fog effects stand out to me particularly, however. At first I thought the hardest part would be the sculpting stage, but I was proven wrong when I began working on the textures. Applying them was drastically harder than creating the models, which surprised me.

I used bumping for the rocks, the treasure chest and the terrain, and UVW mapping and unwrap UVW on the submarine and the eel. Also, back in the designing stage I used image planes to create the submarine. I have gone beyond the boundaries of this project by actually designing my own textures for two of the models featured; I designed the sub's metallic skin in photoshop, and I created the skin of the boulders by combining two different surface textures; a mossy one and a rocky one.
Overall, I was very pleased with the way my underwater scene turned out, and I look forward to doing more assignments like this in the future.

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Assignment #3 Part I

Here is the underwater scene that I created for this project, along with close-up renders of the three objects featured in it.